- The breast pump in a nutshell
- Expressing milk: an act of love and conviction
- Small equipment for beginner breast pumps
- The secrets to expressing your milk more easily
- 4 mum tips for a successful breast-feeding pump!
It's a funny word, breast-feeding. However, more and more young mothers are choosing this way of feeding their baby, sometimes from birth. Tire-laiter makes it possible to reconcile an active woman's life and the desire to breastfeed her child again, to feed him with his own milk. As an alternative or in addition to breastfeeding, but also as a derivative ofmixed breastfeeding, le breastfeeding puller opens up a possibility for all those who cannot or do not want to put their baby to the breast, to still use their breast milk.
The breast pump in a nutshell
You will understand - the breastfeeding pump is aptly named - the idea is to pump your milk every day to give it to your baby at every meal, using a bottle.
Why ? Because breastfeeding could not be set up, because you find this method convenient and flexible, because it suits your lifestyle… and for many other reasons.
Expressing milk: an act of love and conviction
Why choose to express milk? The answer is up to you. But, we have nevertheless tried to draw up a (non-exhaustive) list of reasons that may lead you to question, consider, choose to breast-feed.
- The return to work is approaching and you want to continue give your baby milk for a few more months, even when you are away
- And sucking problem, baby does not want to breastfeed, and physiological concern (inverted nipples, pain, cracks, etc.) or health (lack of milk, fatigue, etc.), prevents you from breast-feeding or prevents your baby from suckling
- You want involve your spouse or partner in this unique moment that is breastfeeding your child
- Expressing your milk yourself can relieve in case of engorgement, when baby cannot drink all your milk, or when you are at work
- On the contrary, in the event of a drop in lactation, using the breast pump regularly can promote production and increase the volume expressed
- As long as you are breastfeeding, you delay the time of the return of diapers and the reappearance of menstruation
- For give your milk without breastfeeding, because you don't like it, because it makes you uncomfortable or because your first breast-feeding was complicated: whatever it is and it's important, because it's your choice
- Breast pump allows you to know the amount of milk given at each feeding
Small equipment for beginner breast pumps
A delicate breast pump with your breasts
All those who have already expressed their milk know it, the machine is not always the most pleasant to use, even if some models are more comfortable than others.
To choose the right breast pump, you can start by renting it. Many companies offer weekly rental, which allows you to quickly change in case of unsuitable equipment. Once you find the right model, you can always decide to buy it.
Another point to raise: electric or manual breast pump ? Single or double pumping model ? Here again it is a question of need and feeling. But, if you choose to pump 100%, consider that the double electric breast pump will be more efficient and faster. Especially since expressing milk is, at least initially, rather time-consuming.
Note that you can rent a breast pump 100% reimbursed in pharmacies, with a prescription from your doctor or midwife. You then only have the accessories (breast shields and storage bottles) to buy, which can sometimes be covered by your health insurance.
If you plan to use it at home and at your workplace, adopt a more transportable model that you can slip into a practical and space-saving bag with all its accessories.
Breastfeeding your child is a gentle and very beautiful gesture. For recreate this magic through the breast pump, Élhée imagined the bibRond.
A creation stemming from a mother's love for birth and design, this unexpected mix reveals the first round and flexible bottle, beautiful and pleasant in your hand as in that of your child, with its distinctive shape which recalls so well the breast perfection. We designed it for this reason: to allow all parents to feel, share and keep the delicate and pure sensations of breastfeeding, even through a bibRond. 150, 240 or 330 ml, the choice is yours!
Containers for storing expressed milk
On the storage side, you will need small freezer jars – or suitable storage bags -, and of storage bottles to be placed in the refrigerator. These may be the bottles that equip your breast pump if you have several. The bibROND Élhée are accompanied by a small cover that allows you to make the bibROND airtight and to use it as a container by removing the pacifier, so all you have to do is pour the milk into your bibROND, close it hermetically and put it in the fridge.
In case of multiple draws, avoid pouring the newly expressed and still lukewarm milk into a storage bottle already started earlier in the day. Let it cool first before adding it.
And is the exclusive breastfeeding pump possible?
Assuming you and baby are on the same page, the breastfeeding pump can be exclusive. You just need to equip yourself a little so that the practice of the breast pump is effective, comfortable and as pleasant as possible.
Did you know ? Manual expression of milk is an alternative. If you can't find a suitable breast pump, if pumping hurts or you don't like the object itself, try expressing your milk yourself. Start by massaging the nipples and areolas between the thumb and index finger, then place your hand on the breast. Press gently towards the chest, squeeze and release. It's worth the cost to try!
The secrets to expressing your milk more easily
It's not really a myth that expressing milk can be unpleasant and even hurt a little at first. Changing breast pumps, but also changing breast shields can offer you a little more comfort in your sessions. Also consider investing in a suitable bra or bustier. By holding the breast shields in your place, they leave your hands free. But, if you want to save time, a little organization is essential, especially in the first weeks of lactation:
- To get the most milk, opt for the double pump breast pump
- Express your milk regularly : Catherine Watson's power-pumping (or energetic pumping) offers 10 pumpings per day for 5 to 10 minutes with at least 45 minutes of break between each, while the Lact&Sens method recommends 3 one-hour pumpings per day at the 20 minutes of pulling then alternating 10 minutes of break and 10 minutes of pumping.
- Stimulate your lactation! Breastfeeding herbal teas, like certain foods, will particularly help you: fennel, basil, cumin and verbena, but also apples, quinces, cashews or almonds with plenty of mineral water added.
- Take your time : initially, you will devote several hours each day and night to pumping your milk, you might as well take all your time to be relaxed, well settled (especially if you are at home, it is more complicated at work) and keep mind the reasons that motivate you.
- Ask for advice : the LecheLeague is the association specializing in breastfeeding, but other mothers, your mother, can also help and support you. There are also groups reserved for breast-feeding pumps on social networks.
]Get a massage! Whether it is for your well-being, to tone their fine skin or to stimulate lactation, massaging the breasts is a source of benefits that it would be a shame to do without. Before placing the breast pump, gently feel the areolas to soften them. This gesture can also help relieve you in case of engorgement.
Store breast milk well between feedings
Breast milk must be subject to some precautions in terms of storage. To put it simply, remember that it keep for 4 hours at room temperature and 4 months in the freezer. In the fridge, it's two days maximum above 4 degrees.
To facilitate logistics, consider the small labels to stick on the container to record the date and time of each volume collected. Finally, to warm the expressed milk, use the bottle warmer and the bottle preparers compatible with all our Élhée models !
Note: place frozen milk in the fridge at least 6 hours before breastfeeding to give it time to return to its original state.
The donation of breast milk: a tender gesture still unknown
In France, there are about twenty milk banks able to collect breast milk from anonymous donations. Still relatively marginal, this donation nevertheless brings a essential help to feed and sometimes save very premature babies that their mother cannot breastfeed. In 2018, nearly 45,000 liters of milk were collected in this way.
If you have already breastfed or are breastfeeding, you can give your expressed milk too much, or reserve a few milliliters of each pumping for other babies. After a few medical examinations, the donation is done at home, quietly, at your own pace.
4 mum's tips for a successful breastfeeding pump!
- Find your routine by expressing your milk when you feel like it, when you feel it, when your mood is right... In short, without pressure! If possible, why not use a portable breast pump that you can take to express your milk from your workplace. In France, young mothers are entitled to one hour a day for this.
- Drive away the stress and find the best way to relax: a series or a book can do wonders and occupy your mind enough to make the milk flow more easily.
- Stimulate your emotions by practicing skin-to-skin with baby just before, by breathing in pajamas or a comforter, or why not, by watching a video if he is not with you. The mother/child bond is an integral part of the lactation process.
- Have, as far as possible, always on hand your equipment clean and stored in an airtight bag. You can also get duplicate breastfeeding accessories and thus postpone the washing until later, without missing the time of the next draw.
Do you know breastfeeding shells? Both very stylish and very useful, they facilitate, once placed, the repair of nipples in breast milk. A little extra trick to make your breastfeeding pump easier and more successful.