- The breast pump in a few words
- Expressing milk: an act of love and conviction
- Small equipment for beginner breast pumps
- Secrets to expressing your milk more easily
- 4 mom’s tips for a successful breastfeeding pump!
It's a funny word, breastfeeding pump. However, more and more young mothers are choosing this way of feeding their babies, sometimes from birth. Breastfeeding allows you to reconcile the life of an active woman and the desire to still breastfeed your child, to feed him with his own milk. As an alternative or complement to breastfeeding, but also as a derivative of mixed breastfeeding , the breast pump opens up the possibility for all those who cannot or do not want to put their baby to the breast, to still use their breast milk .
The breast pump in a few words
You will have understood – the breast pump is aptly named – the idea is to express your milk every day to give it to baby at each meal, using a bottle .
For what ? Because breastfeeding could not be implemented, because you find this method practical and flexible, because it suits your lifestyle... and for many other reasons.
Expressing milk: an act of love and conviction
Why choose to express milk? The answer is up to you. But, we have still tried to draw up a (non-exhaustive) list of reasons which may lead you to question, consider or choose a breast pump.
- The return to work is approaching and you want to continue giving your baby milk for a few more months, even when you are away
- A sucking problem , baby does not want to breastfeed , a physiological problem (inverted nipples, pain, cracks, etc.) or health problem (lack of milk, fatigue, etc.), prevents you from breastfeeding or prevents your baby from breastfeeding
- You want to involve your spouse or partner in this unique moment of breastfeeding your child
- Expressing your milk yourself can provide relief in case of engorgement , when baby cannot drink all of your milk, or when you are at work
- On the contrary, in the event of a drop in lactation, using the breast pump regularly can promote production and increase the volume expressed.
- As long as you breastfeed, you delay the return of diapers and the reappearance of menstruation
- To give your milk without breastfeeding , because you don't like it, because it makes you uncomfortable or because your first breastfeeding was complicated: whatever it is and it's important, because it's your choice
- Breastfeeding pump allows you to know the quantity of milk given at each feeding
Small equipment for beginner breast pumps
A delicate breast pump with your breasts
Anyone who has already expressed milk knows that the machine is not always the most pleasant to use, even if some models are more comfortable than others.
To choose your breast pump carefully, you can start by renting it . Many companies offer weekly rentals, which allows you to quickly change if the equipment is not suitable. Once you find the right model, you can always decide to buy it.
Another point to raise: electric or manual breast pump ? Single or double pumping model ? Here again it is a question of need and feeling. But, if you choose a 100% breastfeeding pump, consider that the double electric breast pump will be more efficient and faster. Especially since expressing milk is, at least initially, rather time-consuming.
Note that you can rent a breast pump 100% reimbursed in pharmacies , with a prescription from your doctor or midwife. You then only have to purchase the accessories (breast shields and storage bottles), which can sometimes be covered by your mutual insurance company.
If you plan to use it at home and at your workplace, choose a more portable model that you can slip into a practical, space-saving bag with all its accessories.
Breastfeeding your child is a gentle and beautiful gesture. To recreate this magic through the breastfeeding pump , Élhée imagined the bibRond .
A creation born from a mother's love for birth and design, this unexpected blend reveals the first round and supple baby bottle, beautiful and pleasant in your hand as in that of your child, with its distinctive shape which so well recalls the perfection of the breast. We designed it for this reason: to allow all parents to feel, share and keep the delicate and pure sensations of breastfeeding, even through a bibRond. 150, 240 or 330 ml, it's up to you!
Containers for storing expressed milk
In terms of storage, you will need small freezer jars – or suitable storage bags – and storage bottles to place in the refrigerator. These could be the bottles that come with your breast pump if you have several. The Élhée bibRONDS come with a small lid which allows you to make the bibROND airtight and use it as a container by removing the pacifier, so all you have to do is pour the milk into your bibROND and close it airtight. and place it in the refrigerator.
In the event of multiple pumping, avoid pouring the newly expressed milk, which is still lukewarm, into a storage bottle already started earlier in the day. Let it cool first before adding it.
And is the exclusive breast pump possible?
Assuming that you and baby are on the same wavelength, the breast pump can be quite exclusive . You simply need to equip yourself a little so that breast pumping is effective, comfortable and as pleasant as possible.
Did you know ? Manual expression of milk is an alternative. If you can't find a suitable breast pump, if pumping hurts, or if you don't like the thing itself, try expressing your milk yourself. Start by massaging the nipples and areolas between your thumb and index finger, then place your hand on the breast. Gently press towards the chest, squeeze and release. It's worth the cost to try!
Secrets to expressing your milk more easily
It's not really a myth, expressing milk can be unpleasant and even hurt a little at first. Changing your breast pump, but also changing your breast shields can offer you a little more comfort during your sessions. Also consider investing in a suitable bra or bustier. By holding the breast shields in place, they leave your hands free. But, if you want to save time, a little organization is necessary, especially in the first weeks of lactation:
- To obtain maximum milk, opt for the double pumping breast pump
- Pump your milk regularly : Catherine Watson's power-pumping (or energetic pumping) suggests 10 pumps per day for 5 to 10 minutes with at least 45 minutes of break between each, while the Lact&Sens method recommends 3 pumps for an hour per day at the rate of 20 minutes of pulling then alternating 10 minutes of break and 10 minutes of pumping.
- Stimulate your lactation! Breastfeeding herbal teas, like certain foods, will particularly help you: fennel, basil, cumin and verbena, but also apples, quince, cashew nuts or almonds with plenty of mineral water.
- Take your time : initially, you will dedicate several hours every day and night to pumping your milk, so take all your time to be relaxed and well settled (especially if you are at home, it is more complicated at work) and keep in mind the reasons that motivate you.
- Ask for advice : LecheLeague is the association specializing in breastfeeding, but other mothers, your mother, will also be able to help and support you. There are also groups reserved for breastfeeding pumps on social networks.
]Massage yourself! Whether it is for your well-being, toning their fine skin or stimulating lactation, massaging your breasts is a source of benefits that it would be a shame to do without. Before putting on the breast pump, gently feel the areolas to soften them. This gesture can also help relieve congestion in the event of congestion.
Store breast milk properly between two feedings
Breast milk must be subject to some precautions in terms of storage. To put it simply, remember that it will keep for 4 hours at room temperature and 4 months in the freezer . In the fridge, it's two days maximum above 4 degrees.
To facilitate logistics, consider small labels to stick on the container to write the date and time of each volume collected. Finally, to warm expressed milk, choose the bottle warmer and bottle preparers compatible with all our Élhée models !
Please note: place frozen milk in the fridge at least 6 hours before feeding to give it time to return to its initial state.
Donating breast milk: a tender gesture that is still little known
In France, there are around twenty lactariums capable of collecting breast milk from anonymous donations . Still relatively marginal, this donation nevertheless provides essential help to feed and sometimes save very premature babies whose mothers cannot breastfeed. In 2018, nearly 45,000 liters of milk were collected.
If you have already breastfed or are breastfeeding, you can give your excess expressed milk, or reserve a few milliliters of each pump for other babies. After a few medical examinations, the donation is done at home, peacefully, at your own pace.
4 mom’s tips for a successful breastfeeding pump!
- Find your routine by expressing your milk when you want it, when you feel it, when your mood is right... In short, without pressure! If possible, why not use a portable breast pump that you can take with you to express your milk from your workplace . In France, young mothers are entitled to one hour per day for this.
- Chase away stress and find the best way to relax: a series or a book can do wonders and occupy your mind enough for the milk to flow more easily.
- Stimulate your emotions by practicing skin-to-skin contact with baby just before, by breathing in pajamas or a cuddly toy, or why not, by watching a video if he is not with you. The mother/child bond is an integral part of the lactation process.
- If possible, always have your clean equipment on hand and stored in an airtight bag . You can also purchase double breastfeeding accessories and postpone washing until later, without missing the time for the next draw.
Do you know about breastfeeding shells? Both very stylish and very useful, once installed, they facilitate the repair of nipples in breast milk. A little extra tip to make your breastfeeding pump easier and more successful.